
The R&B music genre is very straight forward with its conventions and artists do not usually stray and break them or even try to challenge them. Artists are usually sexualised to appeal to the target demographic which is young people such as teenagers and young adults. Darker tones and black and white colour schemes are very common in R&B music videos as well as digipaks as it helps to lure in the target audience and portray the artist in a very appealing way. Female artists will keep constant eye contact with the camera to create a relationship with the audience and appear attractive.
As my video will try and battle misogyny in the music industry, choosing to pick an R&B song and challenge the typical conventions is perfect for sending out a social message. I want the women that are present on the digipak to wear normal and casual clothing that a typical woman wears and therefore not be objectified. As woman will be seen in a powerful light, I want the colour scheme to be bright and natural to create an "exposing" effect which shows women are equal and misogyny is a wrongful act.
In the last scene of my music video, the group of female students will be outside and seen in the natural light, I will try to choose a day on which the weather will be suitable and the sun will be shining to represent happiness and bliss, as well as acceptance and battling of misogyny. The same effect I want to use on my DIGIPAK as I want the women to not hide and be shown in bright high key lighting to show they aren't afraid.

No comments:
Post a Comment